Thursday, July 7, 2011

Friday Finds: How to find your own great deals!

I guess it's no secret that we find a lot of our great pieces to refinish at garage sales, thrift stores, and even on Craigslist. I thought I would share with you a couple of my favorite finds, and plus a few tips for finding your own treasures!

This chair was $15 at a neighborhood garage sale - I lOVE it! It reclines and is so comfortable!
I haven't decided if I want a modern look or old Hollywood glam for my bedroom, but I think it will be perfect either way!

Jen and I found this beauty at our local Goodwill. Because it didn't have any chairs, I was able to negotiate the price down to$20. What I love about it is that it is STURDY and has beautiful
pedestal legs. As you can see, it needs a good sanding, and maybe even some wood filler in places - but with that, and a fresh coat of stain or paint, it will be BEAUTIFUL!
So, how can you find your own great pieces? Here are a few ideas:

1. Shop Goodwill and Thrift stores at the beginning of the week, first thing in the morning. That is when they will have the most selection - after the weekend garage sales are over!

2. Get there early. If you see something you like, don't wait, or someone else might get it - it might be helpful to bring your kids a long to "save" things for you while you pay (ask Jen about that one!) Same thing applies with things on Craigslist - if it is a good deal, it will not be around for long!

3. Don't buy something without taking measurements first - I recently bought some chairs and had my husband pick them up. They looked great in the pictures, but were way too short for the table I was going to put them with!

4. We also find it helpful to bring a measuring tape and camera with us, in case we see something we like, but aren't sure if it will work.

5. The last and most important tip is this: look for furniture that has a shape that you like, is the right size, and good quality wood. Make sure drawers slide in and out easily, and that the furniture is sturdy. A little imagination and paint can help with the rest!

Scroll down for some inspiration with our before/after shots! (And remember, if you find that perfect treasure, but need some help with the transformation, we will be happy to help! :) )

Happy Hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment